(BPT) – For the avid DIYer in you, the winter season may cause a little anxiety while you’re cooped up inside and unable to tackle those outdoor projects you’d love to finish. The good news, however, is that the inside of your home needs just as much DIY attention as the outside – sometimes more – and the winter is the perfect time to tackle these projects.
Each of the tasks on the list below can be finished in a single weekend and, once completed, will make your home more enjoyable for the rest of the winter and beyond.
- Apply a fresh coat of paint. Whether your drive to paint comes from a style choice or a need to repair dings and dents, there’s no reason you can’t tackle it now. Head to your local paint store to research options for colors and tools and then set aside a day where you can focus solely on your project. Whether you touch up your existing colors or go bold with an accent wall, this is one project you’ll be glad to finish.
- Seal up those air leaks. This one isn’t just good for your house, it’s good for your wallet as well. Gaps around windows and doors allow cold air drafts to seep into your home as they let out the warm air needed to keep you comfortable. GREAT STUFF(TM) Window & Door Insulating Foam Sealant is a solution you can use to seal gaps around your windows and doors quickly to help make your home more comfortable and to reduce the cost of your next heating bill.
- Clear that clutter. A few months cooped up in your home can really lead to some excessive accumulation, so why not start your spring cleaning early? Tackle your home’s clutter over the course of several days and review everything you find. If you haven’t used an item in more than a year – or you don’t even know what it is – now’s the time to sell it online, donate it or simply throw it out.
- Vacate the vermin. A visit from the in-laws is par for the course during the holidays, but there are plenty of actual intruders trying to enter your home once the weather turns cold. Arachnids and insects of all varieties need only the smallest opening to access your home, so help block their access with GREAT STUFF(TM) Pestblock Insulating Foam Sealant. Apply this water-resistant sealant around any exterior openings to your home – such as heat or water pipes and cracks in your siding – and you’ll create a barrier between you and the pests trying to sneak in.
- Make a big splash in your bathroom. No, you’re not going to spontaneously decide to remodel your bathroom, but a few tiny changes in this space can make it seem as though you did. Replacing your existing fixtures is a cost-effective way to give the space an entirely new appearance. A little elbow grease goes a long way too. Don’t be afraid to get down on your knees and bid that mildew goodbye once and for all with a simple mixture of bleach and warm water.
Start your winter DIY project today.
The winter season doesn’t mean your indoor projects also need to hibernate. You can get to work right now even while there is a chill in the air. Start with the list above and see where inspiration takes you. Your home could have a dramatically new look and feel once spring has sprung.
(TM) Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company