Winter Storm Preparation Center
Winter storms can range from a few inches of snow over several hours to a blizzard with total white out conditions that can last for several days. These winter storms are to be taken seriously, as these storms are often accompanied by dangerously low freezing temperatures, strong winds, sleet, icing, freezing rain and more. Given the severe weather conditions these winter storms can create, there are precautions that you should take in advance of the next winter storm warning, to protect both your family and your property.
Here are a few checklists to help you deal with the next winter storm. Additionally, Sutherlands HomeBase carries a wide variety of supplies and equipment to help you deal with nearly anything that Mother nature can throw at you.
Essential Supplies Needed (Select list)
- Water – Extremely important. Be sure to have at least a 3 day supply; one gallon per person per day. Select locations carry bottled water.
- Food – Have on hand at least a 3 day supply of non-perishable food. Select locations carry non-perishable items like beef jerky, nuts, etc. Don’t forget food for your pets – Most locations carry pet food in stock.
- Flashlights – Regularly carried in stock.
- Batteries – Regularly carried in stock.
- First Aid Kit – Select locations carry in stock.
- Multi-purpose tool – Regularly carried in stock.
- Battery powered radio or hand crank powered radio
- Sanitation and personal hygiene
- Tools and supplies (duct tape, rope, etc.) for securing your home – Regularly carried in stock.
- Sand or rock salt to make steps, walkways and driveways less slippery – Seasonally in stock.
- Alternate heating methods such as fireplaces, wood or coal burning stoves, etc. – Seasonally in stock.
Storm Preparation Equipment
Sutherlands HomeBase carries a wide variety of generators, chain saws, snow blowers, snow shovels and more.